HI, IMPORTANT NOTE: NO PHONE CALLS, EMAILS, OR SOCIAL MEDIA MESSAGES: We love that you are enthusiastic and want to learn more about the job or the progress of your application. But please, no phone calls, emails, or social media messages. We only accept applications via our job website.
Museum Hack is hiring a full-time Operations Manager in NYC (or willing to relocate to NYC). We recently joined the Inc. 5000 as one of the fastest growing companies in America, and you will be part of our next stage of growth. You will join our leadership team, and work closely with the CEO. You'll be optimizing and maintaining operations and systems as well as build systems where needed that make people say, “damn, I didn't know a company could run so smoothly.” And you will be responsible for managing and supporting our 35+ Renegade Tour Guides in NYC and around the country.
This position is a full time role
The perfect person for this role has relentless grit and a get sh*t done attitude. You’ve worked as an operations coordinator, supervisor, or manager and want to put in the energy to accelerate your career (and the company you work for!) We need someone who can quickly understand our quirky company, manage a large number of operational logistics, help create compromises between business and guide needs, overcome roadblocks, and help our dynamic and creative team members grow.
- You’re detail-oriented, and a fierce (a la Fierce Conversations by Susan Scott, a company fave!), but kind, coach that inspires excellence
- You initiate, not just react
- Working closely with a talented group of people makes you really happy
- You HATE the idea of only working at a desk
- You’re a DOer, not just a Big Thinker
- You think museums are f***ing awesome, and want to spread the good word
- You're cool with working the occasional night / weekend, and occasional travel
- You have previous experience managing people (conducting quarterly reviews, training, hiring, firing, inspiring, transpiring, requiring…)
- Are located in or around the NYC area or are willing to move here (you will regularly meet with team members in Manhattan)
- Super fast learner
- Above average people person
- Strong listener and great at asking the right questions
- Obsessive attention to detail
- Great coordinator of people & projects
- Never miss a deadline
- Fun & friendly
- Excellent grasp of technology (Slack, Trello, Google Drive, and more specialized tools)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage business operations! Including working with our Sales Manager and Marketing Manager to move the business forward. Example: Sales notices a market gap we could provide a solution for. You work with our team to turn that product into a reality
- Scope out new potential locations, and gather info about fees, catering options, etc. Negotiate agreements as needed
- “Eye in the sky” for our Renegade Tour Guide Department
- Direct Manager for the City Leads in each major city (NYC, Chicago, DC, LA, SF)
- Advocate for a fair balance between the needs of the guides and the business
- Lead bi-weekly remote meetings with City Leads for all locations to communicate updates from Headquarters (HQ), new initiatives, projects, standards, training, plus much more!
- Responsible for supporting, coaching, and empowering our City Leads in a way that allows City Leads to support and empower the Renegade Tour Guide guides. This responsibility includes discovering what team members need to be engaged + successful, and working with City Leads to make it happen!
- Extra emphasis on discovery of needs! You’ll need to hear/recognize our teams’ needs and initiate the best action/solution for the situation. Also, stay organized and follow-up to ensure completion
- Assist with guide onboarding and new hire orientation. You will be the mastermind scheduler/planner and work to set City Leads up for success in training new hires
- You’ll work closely with Museum Hack’s leadership team to ensure guides are well supported for new projects, training schedules, etc.
- Mediate conflicts, ensure company policy compliance, encourage well-being, and generally motivate and inspire our guides
- Staff scheduling; find creative solutions to scheduling
- Handle customer service issues and concerns
Our HQ is based in NYC, but works remotely. Our employees work from museums, apartments, and co-working spaces. We meet up a few times per week for meetings and events, but the majority of your time is spent independently producing -- with regular electronic communication via chat, telephone, email, etc.
- $43-56K DOE
- Relocation not provided if outside NYC
- We are currently hiring for an Operations Manager. For the right candidate this position has future potential to grow to a Chief of Staff or C-level role within 1-2 years
About Museum Hack
We do live, public museum tours for people who don't like museums. We are based in New York City and have grown to DC, SF, LA, Philly, and Chicago. Our corporate clients include Google, Facebook, KPMG, LEGO, Chipotle, Etsy and hundreds of others.. Museums around the world hire us for special workshops and VIP events.
Why Work With Museum Hack
- We are growing fast, and you will accelerate your career
- You’ll get more responsibility and control working with us than you would at a bigger company, institution, or museum
- We promote success, not tenure
- Our tours are really f***ing fun
NO PHONE CALLS, EMAILS, OR SOCIAL MEDIA MESSAGES: We love that you are enthusiastic and want to learn more about the job or the progress of your application. But please, no phone calls, emails, or social media messages. We only accept applications via our job website.
(Pro-Tip reward for reading to the bottom: write a cover letter that lets us see your personality!)